Happy New Year from FEW!
Thank you to everyone who joined us at all our events since we kicked off the 2017-2018 FEW Year in September. As the go-to place for personal and professional learning, connection and inspiration, FEW is proud to offer various events, resources, and networking opportunities for internationally-minded women in Japan. We look forward to seeing our members, guests, and partners – old and new – at our 2018 events as well!
We’ve had a great autumn, full of learning, new connections, and inspiring experiences. Here’s a look back at our autumn events, along with other highlights since the start of the FEW year:
- Launched 2 new Spotlight Features— The Strategic Partner Spotlight and the Community Services Feature Spotlight:
- Our Strategic Partner Spotlights featured Sarah Furuya, who shared how she developed a thriving coaching business, and Megumi Moss of CareFinder on finding the support, guidance at network at FEW to kickstart her successful babysitting business.
- Our Community Services Spotlights covered Tokyo Run for the Cure (in which FEW participated in December!), an interview with Charles McJilton of Second Harvest, and an interview with Angela Ortiz of A Place To Grow (beneficiary of FEW Bonenkai raffle).
- 3 Monthly Meetings on important and timely topics:
- Women in Japan: Past, Now and Future: ewomen CEO, Kaori Sasaki shared insights on becoming a pioneering female entrepreneur in Japan and encouraging diversity within Japanese companies.
- Multiculturalism through Japan’s Eyes: Four panelists discussed how Japan is dealing with an influx of foreigners and how they fit into broader government policies for a multicultural Japan.
- Disruptive Innovation: Shifts in Technology: FutureEdu co-founder Emi Takemura shared her insights on technological shifts helping us live better, how she founded online event platform Peatix, and discussed her passion for helping entrepreneurs succeed.
- CareFinder, founded by FEW member Megumi Moss, became our newest Strategic Partner! CareFinder offers FEW members ¥2500 off first month of CareFinder membership + Money Back Guarantee. Find out more about all of our partners here.
- Over 70 members, guests, friends, and partners enjoyed a fantastic end-of-year party at our Fire & Ice Bonenkai at H&R Roppongi, where we raised ¥95,000 for A Place To Grow, and enjoyed entertainment from acoustic guitarist Marina Yoshimura and portrait artist Yumimpo.
- 2 Women’s Start-Up Club meetings on: “Sharing your Passion and Maintain it through Masterminding” and “Marketing with a Purpose,” with Strategy and Implementation Consultant Zsuzsanna Jarfas of Japan Creative Enterprises. (Recap coming soon!)
- 2 Special Events workshops: One led by Helen Iwata of Sasuga Communications on practical strategies to achieve networking success and one led by Sarah Furuya on how to say ‘no’ in order to say ‘yes’ to the people and activities you rather devote your time to.
- 3 fascinating Member Spotlights, featuring:
- FEW Vice President Nicola Vote, who describes how a one year student exchange program turned into 20 years of being captivated by Japan.
- Aya McCrindle, whoshared how the personal ‘tsunamis’ in her life gave her strength to create Find Your Element Workshops.
- And Alicia Narusé of Paradiddle Lifestyle, who revealed how she founded her furniture business and expanded her network and friendships through FEW.
- 3 fun Monthly Lunch Mixers for members and guests to connect and share stories and ideas with women from various professions in the middle of a busy working week.
We’re excited for our 2018 lineup of even more great events. Take a peek at what’s coming up here. Hope to see you there!
Remembering Doreen Simmons, May 29, 1932 – April 23, 2018
Obituary for Doreen Simmons May 29, 1932 – April 23, 2018 It is with deep sadness that we announce the passing of one of FEW’s longest patrons and members, the inimitable Doreen Simmons. Ms Simmons died in her sleep in the early hours of April 23, 2018 at age 85. Details of her memorial service […]Published on 26th April 2018
Q&A with Catherine O’Connell and Naoko Matsuzaki
Leading up to our upcoming monthly meeting on ‘Lessons from the Lawyers,’ we’re featuring a Q&A with Catherine O’Connell, a bilingual New Zealand lawyer and founder of Catherine O’Connell Law, and Naoko Matsuzaki, Director, International Anti-Corruption and Global Intelligence for PwC Japan’s Forensic Services Group. The Q&A is modeled on the Proust Questionnaire, designed to reveal insights into […]Published on 10th April 2018
Special Event Recap: The Essence of Belly Dance Workshop with Sara Amira
FEW’s March Special Event, “The Essence of Belly Dance Workshop,” was hosted by belly dancer Sara Amira at the Belly Dance Arts studio close to Omotesando, whose team generously allowed us to use their beautiful space for this workshop Sara started by telling the participants about her personal journey and how she first got into […]Published on 5th April 2018
April 2018 Strategic Partner Member Offers and Other News
Check out the latest member offers and opportunities from our Strategic Partners here! Our Strategic Partners are committed to bringing the best services and products to FEW members. And go to our Strategic Partners page to learn more about all of FEW’s Strategic Partners, who not only support FEW’s activities but also provide professional and personal services […]Published on 5th April 2018
March 2018 Monthly Meeting Recap: Celebrating Women as Change Agents in Post-Disaster Tohoku
In honor of International Women’s month and the 7th anniversary of the Great East Japan Earthquake, we welcomed Megumi Ishimoto, Executive Director of NPO Women’s Eye, and Dr. Jackie F. Steele, a political scientist at the University of Tokyo, to share the stories and challenges of the amazing women change agents in post-disaster Tohoku. Neither […]Published on 5th April 2018
Yoyogi Park Outdoor Drawing Workshop with Divya Marie Kato
Join us for this members-exclusive special event where Strategic Partner Divya Marie Kato will offer a daytime drawing experience in Yoyogi Park to help rekindle your creativity and boost your confidence in sketching.
May 2018 Women's Start-Up Club: Cyber Security
Mark your calendars for May 30 to round up our series on Building an Online Presence with the ever important theme of Cyber Security with speaker Nicola Vote of McAfee. More information to follow soon!
May Midweek Lunch Mixer at Citron
Take a break from work and join us for delicious food and great networking at our monthly midweek lunch gathering. In May, we'll be meeting again at Parisian-style salad bar, Citron, in Gaienmae!
FEW 20th Career Strategies Seminar (CSS): AMPLIFY!
Join us on June 2 for AMPLIFY, a transformational and inspirational day-long event full of seminars, workshops and networking opportunities to help you elevate your career to new heights.
Radical Boundaries Workshop with Sarah Furuya: How to Say No to Make Way for YES
Due to its high popularity, we are offering the Radical Boundaries Workshop again. Join us for an exclusive workshop with Sarah Furuya on developing techniques to say 'no' in order to devote your time and attention to the things and people you truly love.