Happy New Year from FEW!
Thank you to everyone who joined us at all our events since we kicked off the 2017-2018 FEW Year in September. As the go-to place for personal and professional learning, connection and inspiration, FEW is proud to offer various events, resources, and networking opportunities for internationally-minded women in Japan. We look forward to seeing our members, guests, and partners – old and new – at our 2018 events as well!
We’ve had a great autumn, full of learning, new connections, and inspiring experiences. Here’s a look back at our autumn events, along with other highlights since the start of the FEW year:
- Launched 2 new Spotlight Features— The Strategic Partner Spotlight and the Community Services Feature Spotlight:
- Our Strategic Partner Spotlights featured Sarah Furuya, who shared how she developed a thriving coaching business, and Megumi Moss of CareFinder on finding the support, guidance at network at FEW to kickstart her successful babysitting business.
- Our Community Services Spotlights covered Tokyo Run for the Cure (in which FEW participated in December!), an interview with Charles McJilton of Second Harvest, and an interview with Angela Ortiz of A Place To Grow (beneficiary of FEW Bonenkai raffle).
- 3 Monthly Meetings on important and timely topics:
- Women in Japan: Past, Now and Future: ewomen CEO, Kaori Sasaki shared insights on becoming a pioneering female entrepreneur in Japan and encouraging diversity within Japanese companies.
- Multiculturalism through Japan’s Eyes: Four panelists discussed how Japan is dealing with an influx of foreigners and how they fit into broader government policies for a multicultural Japan.
- Disruptive Innovation: Shifts in Technology: FutureEdu co-founder Emi Takemura shared her insights on technological shifts helping us live better, how she founded online event platform Peatix, and discussed her passion for helping entrepreneurs succeed.
- CareFinder, founded by FEW member Megumi Moss, became our newest Strategic Partner! CareFinder offers FEW members ¥2500 off first month of CareFinder membership + Money Back Guarantee. Find out more about all of our partners here.
- Over 70 members, guests, friends, and partners enjoyed a fantastic end-of-year party at our Fire & Ice Bonenkai at H&R Roppongi, where we raised ¥95,000 for A Place To Grow, and enjoyed entertainment from acoustic guitarist Marina Yoshimura and portrait artist Yumimpo.
- 2 Women’s Start-Up Club meetings on: “Sharing your Passion and Maintain it through Masterminding” and “Marketing with a Purpose,” with Strategy and Implementation Consultant Zsuzsanna Jarfas of Japan Creative Enterprises. (Recap coming soon!)
- 2 Special Events workshops: One led by Helen Iwata of Sasuga Communications on practical strategies to achieve networking success and one led by Sarah Furuya on how to say ‘no’ in order to say ‘yes’ to the people and activities you rather devote your time to.
- 3 fascinating Member Spotlights, featuring:
- FEW Vice President Nicola Vote, who describes how a one year student exchange program turned into 20 years of being captivated by Japan.
- Aya McCrindle, whoshared how the personal ‘tsunamis’ in her life gave her strength to create Find Your Element Workshops.
- And Alicia Narusé of Paradiddle Lifestyle, who revealed how she founded her furniture business and expanded her network and friendships through FEW.
- 3 fun Monthly Lunch Mixers for members and guests to connect and share stories and ideas with women from various professions in the middle of a busy working week.
We’re excited for our 2018 lineup of even more great events. Take a peek at what’s coming up here. Hope to see you there!
May 2018 FEW Women’s Start-Up Club Recap: The Importance of Cyber Security to Entrepreneurs
In our May Women’s Start-Up Club, Nicola Vote of McAfee shed light on how entrepreneurs can protect their customers and also protect their reputation and business online. And she managed to leave us all well informed, alert yet a bit “scared”, too. Let’s jump into some definitions and which aspects are important when it […]Published on 24th June 2018
Special Event Recap – Radical Boundaries Workshop with Sarah Furuya
FEW’s June Special Event Workshop, took place on June 21st, 2018 at H&R Roppongi and was run by Sarah Furuya, FEW Strategic Partner, long-time member and former president who works as a life & executive coach, facilitator and mentor, supporting particularly women in achieving their goals and realizing their dreams. Her workshop “Radical Boundaries: […]Published on 24th June 2018
Q&A with Cynthia Usui, author and Head of Hospitality, Tokyo 2020 Olympics, The Coca-Cola Company
Leading up to our upcoming monthly meeting on ‘Breaking the Mold: Finding New Beginnings at Any Age,’ we’re featuring a Q&A with Cynthia Usui, author of 専業主婦が就職するまでにやっておくべき8つのこと (Eight things Full-Time Housewives Should Do Before Entering the Workforce) and Head of Hospitality, Tokyo 2020 Olympics, The Coca-Cola Company. The Q&A is modeled on the Proust Questionnaire, designed to […]Published on 7th June 2018
June 2018 Strategic Partner Member Offers and Other News
Check out the latest member offers and opportunities from our Strategic Partners and other FEW Community Events here! Our Strategic Partners are committed to bringing the best services and products to FEW members. And go to our Strategic Partners page to learn more about all of FEW’s Strategic Partners, who not only support FEW’s activities but also […]Published on 6th June 2018
May 2018 Monthly Meeting Recap: Stronger Together: FEW x FAJ
Who knew that our members had so many hidden talents? The first joint event with FEW and FAJ — the group for French-speaking professional women in Tokyo — on May 15 unveiled quite few surprises as we listened to presentations about their work, projects, lives, experiences and aspirations. Members of both associations are involved in […]Published on 5th June 2018
Women's Start-Up Club: Branding with Archetypes
Come along to the final Women's Start-Up Club meeting of the FEW year where we'll discuss the classic brand archetypes and how to choose the right archetype for your business.
Midweek Lunch Mixer
Take a break from work and join us for delicious food and great networking at our monthly midweek lunch gathering at Royal Garden Cafe in Shibuya.
Mentoring Moments Senpai Brunch: Finding Love in Japan
Join us for our next Mentoring Moments Senpai Brunch on dating and cross-cultural relationships in Japan.
The Powerful Sea Nomads of Japan: The Legacy & Lessons of the Ama Free Divers
Join us as Anne McDonald discusses the unique history of Japanese Ama divers and shares insights from these strong women about sisterhood, protecting tradition and the environment, and preserving the Ama way of life.