Happy New Year from FEW!
Thank you to everyone who joined us at all our events since we kicked off the 2017-2018 FEW Year in September. As the go-to place for personal and professional learning, connection and inspiration, FEW is proud to offer various events, resources, and networking opportunities for internationally-minded women in Japan. We look forward to seeing our members, guests, and partners – old and new – at our 2018 events as well!
We’ve had a great autumn, full of learning, new connections, and inspiring experiences. Here’s a look back at our autumn events, along with other highlights since the start of the FEW year:
- Launched 2 new Spotlight Features— The Strategic Partner Spotlight and the Community Services Feature Spotlight:
- Our Strategic Partner Spotlights featured Sarah Furuya, who shared how she developed a thriving coaching business, and Megumi Moss of CareFinder on finding the support, guidance at network at FEW to kickstart her successful babysitting business.
- Our Community Services Spotlights covered Tokyo Run for the Cure (in which FEW participated in December!), an interview with Charles McJilton of Second Harvest, and an interview with Angela Ortiz of A Place To Grow (beneficiary of FEW Bonenkai raffle).
- 3 Monthly Meetings on important and timely topics:
- Women in Japan: Past, Now and Future: ewomen CEO, Kaori Sasaki shared insights on becoming a pioneering female entrepreneur in Japan and encouraging diversity within Japanese companies.
- Multiculturalism through Japan’s Eyes: Four panelists discussed how Japan is dealing with an influx of foreigners and how they fit into broader government policies for a multicultural Japan.
- Disruptive Innovation: Shifts in Technology: FutureEdu co-founder Emi Takemura shared her insights on technological shifts helping us live better, how she founded online event platform Peatix, and discussed her passion for helping entrepreneurs succeed.
- CareFinder, founded by FEW member Megumi Moss, became our newest Strategic Partner! CareFinder offers FEW members ¥2500 off first month of CareFinder membership + Money Back Guarantee. Find out more about all of our partners here.
- Over 70 members, guests, friends, and partners enjoyed a fantastic end-of-year party at our Fire & Ice Bonenkai at H&R Roppongi, where we raised ¥95,000 for A Place To Grow, and enjoyed entertainment from acoustic guitarist Marina Yoshimura and portrait artist Yumimpo.
- 2 Women’s Start-Up Club meetings on: “Sharing your Passion and Maintain it through Masterminding” and “Marketing with a Purpose,” with Strategy and Implementation Consultant Zsuzsanna Jarfas of Japan Creative Enterprises. (Recap coming soon!)
- 2 Special Events workshops: One led by Helen Iwata of Sasuga Communications on practical strategies to achieve networking success and one led by Sarah Furuya on how to say ‘no’ in order to say ‘yes’ to the people and activities you rather devote your time to.
- 3 fascinating Member Spotlights, featuring:
- FEW Vice President Nicola Vote, who describes how a one year student exchange program turned into 20 years of being captivated by Japan.
- Aya McCrindle, whoshared how the personal ‘tsunamis’ in her life gave her strength to create Find Your Element Workshops.
- And Alicia Narusé of Paradiddle Lifestyle, who revealed how she founded her furniture business and expanded her network and friendships through FEW.
- 3 fun Monthly Lunch Mixers for members and guests to connect and share stories and ideas with women from various professions in the middle of a busy working week.
We’re excited for our 2018 lineup of even more great events. Take a peek at what’s coming up here. Hope to see you there!
Upcoming Fall 2018 Community Service Events
With the changing of the leaves comes many opportunities to support various NGOs and their efforts. Take a look at the events below and reach out to the organizations through the contact information provided if you’re interested in lending a helping hand! The Big Draw Festival 2018 The world’s largest cross-cultural drawing festival, led by […]Published on 15th October 2018
Recap: WSC — Creating Your Story & Brand with the Help of Masterminding Groups
“A brand is what people say about you when you are not in the room.” – Jeff Bezos, founder of Amazon For the 2018-2019 season, Women’s Startup Club focuses on helping you create YOUR story and brand, kicking off the season with Masterminding—Supporting Your Success. Thirty women from diverse career backgrounds, a wide variety of […]Published on 7th October 2018
October 2018 Sponsor Offers & Member News
Check out the latest offers and opportunities from our Sponsors and other FEW Community Events here! Our Sponsors are committed to bringing the best services and products to FEW members. Visit our Sponsors page to learn more about all of FEW’s Sponsors, who not only support FEW’s activities but also provide professional and personal services benefiting […]Published on 30th September 2018
September Monthly Meeting Recap – Rina Bovrisse
From Prada Epicenter to Court Battle…and How She Persists Rina Bovrisse, a former fashion industry leader who sued her employer – Prada Japan – for discrimination and sexual harassment in 2009 and, eventually, lost her fashion career due that suit, shared her inspiring journey at the FEW Monthly Meeting in September. Now running her own […]Published on 26th September 2018
July Monthly Meeting Recap – Ama Divers
Living at the pace of the ocean In July, FEW welcomed professor Anne McDonald from Sophia University to share the stories of Ama divers, female free divers of Japan, during the Monthly Meeting. McDonald has been researching the Ama communities by interviewing the members and taking part in their daily life – even diving into […]Published on 26th September 2018
CANCELLED - Earthquake Preparedness Workshop with WaNavi Japan
Disasters happen. WaNavi, with FEW, will help you prepare for them.
Rethinking Strengths with Professional Certified Coach Jennifer Shinkai
In this experiential workshop, participants will create a visual map of their strengths based upon the concept of “Strengths are what make me strong”.
Midweek Lunch Mixer
Take a break from work and join us for delicious food and great networking at our monthly midweek lunch gathering at Cafe Park in Ebisu!
Note: The Lunch Mixer will take place on a Wednesday!